Monday, October 20, 2008

Lively Desert



This is a combination of two different desert pictures with a picture of a stream incorporated into it. I added all of the other plants and such into it to give it a lively feel. The sunflower in the sky represents the sun. When I made this I was just thinking I'd recreate a desert by putting different pictures together to form a realistic desert, but then thought what the heck, and added some nice potted cacti, some cattails by the stream, and a desaturated cactus to kind of mask the harsh transition between the two different skies. The sunflower kind of creeps me out, because the way that the light hits it it looks so out of place in the sky, and looks as if it's descending down upon the group of little cacti.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

love it, but its weird that the cacti are floating in the water

Erin said...

i really like how you contrasted the colors together. You are really able to capture the light in the picture and it gives me a really warm feeling inside. nicely done

Frank said...

I think the cactus does a pretty good job of hiding the transition in the sky, but I would do something else above it there there is still a sharp seam. You could try something to just mix them together, like the blend or smudge tools instead of trying to match them perfectly. The colors are great and I really like the warm feeling of the sunflower, there's great light on it.

Anonymous said...

the large gray cactus and the sunflower seem to balance the image.

Flo said...

The sunflower sun was an awesome idea. The light in the whole piece is peaceful.

Sophia said...

I like the cut and paste feel with minimal blending. Makes it seem more like the old days when scissors and glue were involved. the tall grass and river have a nice connection.

Anonymous said...

This is neat and I really like the concept, but I feel the execution is a little flawed. During the "cutting process", there are still some splotches for the original "background". What is the significance of the larger cactus being grayscale?

Other than the small variable, I think this came out great.

Anonymous said...

Great mix of natural elements. It reminds me of a cornacopia for some reason.

dprime said...

It has a definite aspect to it that is confusing at first. It doesn't have to fit together and that's why it works.

kyle fisher said...

everything really fits in this picture! great use of your photoshop skills

Bethany said...

nice piece. great colors and bright mood. love the light and the use of the sunflower as sun. you have left edges very cut-out, which works b/c you obviously aren't trying to make this mesh perfectly...the only thing that bothers me is the way the cacti in pots seem to be hovering with no shadows...